My Acadian & French Canadian Ancestry

This is my research of my family tree with my 23'd Great Grandparents...Rose de Ponthieu & Hector de Marle in Europe in the 1100's (unconfirmed). My closest relations are in Acadia, New France. This is my story.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Quebec, Canada

Monday, February 20, 2006

Decision

I have decided to read the book on my relatives & ancestors ..... "The Acadians" ..... I have read just a few pages, and every now and then I'll post a sentence or paragraph, that I find is relative, important, or just because. Here is the authors website ... Dean Jobb ... and you can find reviews and other books that he has written.

~~~'~~~'~~'~{@

(the following has been taken from the Introduction of the book, and is seen on many sites)

"This is the story of one of the great crimes of history, a brutal act of genocide committed two and a half centuries ago. More than 10,000 men, women and children were removed from their homeland at gunpoint and sent into exile. They were stripped of the farms that had nurtured and sustained their families for four generations. Their homes and most of their possessions were burned. Five thousand of these unfortunate people, maybe more, died of disease and deprivation or perished in shipwrecks (one of whom is my 6th great paternal grandmother Anne Marie Breau). The destitute survivors were scattered along the east coast of North America or wound up in the port cities of England and France; some sought refuge in the jungles of South America or as far away as the windswept barrens of the Falkland Islands. Family and friends were separated, never to be reunited. Children were taken from their parents to work as servants or apprentices. An entire generation knew nothing but the squalor of refugee camps and prisons, the humiliation of enslavement, and the uncertainty of a nomadic life... "